Re: Best practice? Web application: single PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Sidney-Woollett
Subject Re: Best practice? Web application: single PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Keith G. Murphy said:
> Perhaps I can answer my own question.  I could use ident and a map that
> lists the web server username as able to map to the different "role"
> usernames.

Someone else also mentioned and I personally agree that it's better to
authenticate in the application layer (using whatever technology takes
your fancy), and then use the webserver's generic/pooled connection to
communicate with the database.

Your user and role mapping info could be stored within the database, or
accessed from an LDAP server, or some such.

> Unfortunately, that still would allow the web server account
> to "fake" role names.

Make the application layer robust and secure and it may not be so much of
a problem.

John