Re: [HACKERS] GUC for cleanup indexes threshold. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Steele
Subject Re: [HACKERS] GUC for cleanup indexes threshold.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/27/17 12:46 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 10:51 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Do you have an idea about that, or any ideas for experiments we could try?
>
> Nothing occurs to me right now, unfortunately. However, my general
> sense is that it would probably be just fine when
> vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor was 0.0, but there might be
> non-linear increases in "the serious type of index bloat" as the
> proposed new setting was scaled up. I'd be much more worried about
> that.

This was originally marked "Waiting on Author" due to some minor
problems with the patch but on the whole there are much larger issues at
play.

The tenor seems to be that we should somehow prove the effectiveness of
this patch one way or the other, but nobody is quite sure how to go
about that, and in fact it would probably be different for each AM.

Sawada, if you have ideas about how to go about this then we would need
to see something very soon.  If not, I think marking this RWF is the
best course of action.

Thanks,
--
-David