Re: any way for ORDER BY x to imply NULLS FIRST in 8.3? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From rihad
Subject Re: any way for ORDER BY x to imply NULLS FIRST in 8.3?
Date
Re: any way for ORDER BY x to imply NULLS FIRST in 8.3?  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
Re: any way for ORDER BY x to imply NULLS FIRST in 8.3?  ("Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
> Em Wednesday 07 November 2007 13:54:32 rihad escreveu:
>>
>> May I, as an outsider, comment? :) I really think of ASC NULLS FIRST
>> (and DESC NULLS LAST) as the way to go. Imagine a last_login column that
>> sorts users that have not logged in as the most recently logged in,
>> which is not very intuitive. I vote for sort_nulls_first defaulting to
>> false in order not to break bc.
>
> But then, when ordering by login date, you should use COALESCE and infinity
> for them
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/datatype-datetime.html).

It's not an easy thing to do with for example Propel 1.2 ORM (written in
PHP):

$criteria->addDescendingOrderByColumn(myPeer::LAST_LOGIN); // no place
to shove database-specific attributes in.

which was my main point.