Re: Visibility map thoughts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Mielke
Subject Re: Visibility map thoughts
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote: <blockquote cite="mid:1194358117.4268.44.camel@ebony.site" type="cite"><pre wrap="">On Tue,
willstart adding columns to indexes, to make use

difficultto judge whether its worth the

benefit for creating lots of extra columns in indexes. Specifically,
this isn't going to speed up any existing application without additional
design work.

But seems like we have reasonable reason for them without that.

Do we know how much faster things might go if we do that? </pre></blockquote> Effectively - you get a materialized view
withlimitations (no joins or calculations), with rows in B-Tree order. Update speed would suffer, but I would expect
nearlyall random access queries to improve, and the fewer the columns included in the index, the less data that needs
tobe scanned to find the data you want.<br /><br /> I have some data that might benefit. For example, on one system I
synchronizedata from ACCPAC on MSSQL into PGSQL, then use only a subset of the columns in the ACCPAC tables in my PGSQL
queries.<br/><br /> I say might, because the ACCPAC data is so sprawled out that my "materialized view" does
significantcalculation calculating aggregates and fields with conditional values. The ACCPAC query based entirely on a
viewtakes over 1 second to run. The query on the "materialized view" row takes 0.01 seconds. Quite a difference. :-)<br

Mark Mielke <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:mark@mielke.cc"><mark@mielke.cc></a>
</pre>