Re: php and postgres - too many queries too fast? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From andy
Subject Re: php and postgres - too many queries too fast?
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Hart wrote:
[snip]
> OK, enough of the background, here's my issue. For some lovely reason,
> even though my script reports running an UPDATE query 1563 times (out of
> 1566 rows), only 316 rows have is_ok set to TRUE. I've tried a few
> times, changing this and that, and it always updates those 316 rows (no
> reason for this, the data is actually really good when it comes in, I'm
> just trying to build an extra layer of assuredness). Of particular note,
> I'm trying to keep the script fairly uniform and work for all our
> tables, so the UPDATE statement looks something like
>
> UPDATE table SET is_ok = 'TRUE' WHERE var1 = value1 AND var2 = value2
> AND var3 = value3.....
>

> Thomas R. Hart II
> tomhart@coopfed.org

Have you run one of these queries via psql or something other than php?
  I doubt its a "too many too fast" thing.  I'd guess a logic error
someplace.

Why 1563 queries?  Can you get the row's modified per query?  If you're
tables looks like:

var1 |  var2 | var3
a   | b   | a
a   | b   | c

Would you fire of two query's like:

UPDATE table SET is_ok = 'TRUE' WHERE var1 = 'a' AND var2 = 'b' and var3
= 'a;

UPDATE table SET is_ok = 'TRUE' WHERE var1 = 'a' AND var2 = 'b' and var3
= 'c;

if so, do you generate the update's on the fly?

-Andy