Re: PostgreSQL 8.3, libpq and WHERE CURRENT OF - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sebastien FLAESCH
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.3, libpq and WHERE CURRENT OF
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ok...

Tested with 8.2.3:

Actually you can't DECLARE a cursor outside a transaction:

test1=> declare c1 cursor for select * from dbit2;
ERROR:  DECLARE CURSOR may only be used in transaction blocks

That's the main reason why we don't use DECLARE CURSOR...

I understand we could use DECLARE CURSOR when a FOR UPDATE is
detected, to allow UPDATE/DELETE WHERE CURRENT OF - these only
make sense inside a transaction...

But for normal cursors, we need to support multiple active result
sets that can last outside a transaction block.

Basically, we need all what you can do with ODBC cursors.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Seb