Re: execute pg_dump via python - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy
Subject Re: execute pg_dump via python
Date
List pgsql-general
Garry Saddington wrote:
> I am using zope on windows with an external python method to backup my
> database. I am struggling to run the following command:
>
> pg_dump.exe database > file
>
> I have tried using os.popen - no luck
> and also subprocess.Popen.
>
> eg:
> import subprocess
>
> subprocess.Popen(['c:/dir/dir/pg_dump.exe','database','>','c:/dir/dir/output
> file'])
>
> The command string works perfectly in a terminal. Does anyone know how I
> should be doing this? I get no errors or traceback when I try the method
> through Zope.
>
> regards
> garry

the redirect operation '>' is done by cmd.exe.  I assume popen is
directly spawing pg_dump, but pg_dump does not know the command line
argument >.

you need to run:  'cmd.exe /c pg_dump database > out.txt'

(is it /c or /k, I always get them confused)

-Andy