Re: Add trim_trailing_whitespace to editorconfig file - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Add trim_trailing_whitespace to editorconfig file
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2024-08-07 We 1:09 PM, Jelte Fennema-Nio wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 at 12:42, Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres@jeltef.nl> wrote:
>> Okay, I spent the time to add a script to generate the editorconfig
>> based on .gitattributes after all. So attached is a patch that adds
>> that.
> I would love to see this patch merged (or at least some feedback on
> the latest version). I think it's pretty trivial and really low risk
> of breaking anyone's workflow, and it would *significantly* improve my
> own workflow.
>
> Matthias mentioned on Discord that our vendored in pg_bsd_indent uses
> a tabwidth of 8 and that was showing up ugly in his editor. I updated
> the patch to include a fix for that too.

You're not meant to use our pg_bsd_indent on its own without the
appropriate flags, namely (from src/tools/pgindent/pgindent):

"-bad -bap -bbb -bc -bl -cli1 -cp33 -cdb -nce -d0 -di12 -nfc1 -i4 -l79
-lp -lpl -nip -npro -sac -tpg -ts4"

If that's inconvenient you can create a .indent.pro with the settings.

Also, why are you proposing to undet indent-style for .pl and .pm files?
That's not in accordance with our perltidy settings
(src/tools/pgindent/perltidyrc), unless I'm misunderstanding.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan