Re: SQL spec/implementation question: UPDATE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Hunter
Subject Re: SQL spec/implementation question: UPDATE
Date
List pgsql-general
At 11:33p -0400 on 21 Oct 2007, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Not to bash MySQL (much...) but ISTM that this is another example of
> MySQL playing fast and loose with SQL.

I don't have handy a spec guide.  Does this mean that MySQL is indeed
showing incorrect behavior?  I like what's been said upthread:

The query MySQL apparently sees:
UPDATE test SET name = 'kevin' WHERE passion = 'soccer' AND name <> 'kevin';

The query as I wrote:
UPDATE test SET name = 'kevin' WHERE passion = 'soccer';

Even though it is, in fact, the same, it should still be updated because
that's what I said.  Is that what you're saying?  Is that the spec?

Thanks,

Kevin