Re: looking for some real world performance numbers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: looking for some real world performance numbers
Date
Re: looking for some real world performance numbers  (Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1@burntmail.com>)
Re: looking for some real world performance numbers  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-general
snacktime wrote:
> I'm working through the architecture design for a new product.  We
> have a small group working on this.  It's a web app that will be using
> ruby on rails.  The challenge I'm running into is that the latest
> conventional wisdom seems to be that since obviously databases don't
> scale on the web, you should just not use them at all.  I have a group
> of otherwise very bright people trying to convince me that a rdbms is
> not a good place to store relational data because eventually it won't
> scale.  And of course we don't even have version 1 of our product out
> of the door.  I'll admit we do have a very good chance of actually
> getting tons of traffic, but my position is to use a rdbms for
> relational data, and then if and when it won't scale any more, deal
> with it then.
>
> So what would really help me is some real world numbers on how
> postgresql is doing in the wild under pressure.  If anyone cares to
> throw some out I would really appreciate it.

I've got a client doing 18M page views/ day and postgresql isn't really
sweating.

Dave