Re: Problem of installation on Mac - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: Problem of installation on Mac
Date
List pgsql-general
Lizhe.Xu@aphis.usda.gov wrote:
> Thank you very much Shane. It fixed my problem, at least now :-).
>
> I installed the pgsql 8.2.5 from source. The user "postgres" has a
> shortname of "pgsql".
>
> Another question, what's the purpose/advantage to create a user of
> postgres? May I just create the database under my user account?

Technically you can run postgresql (and most other services) as almost
any user - the reason you don't is security - being run as pgsql it can
only read and write to files that that user account has access to. You
would normally only allow it to write in the data directory setup for
it. If it is hacked into it can only overwrite files in that one
directory not your entire system. If it only needs limited access to the
filesystem to run then don't give it access to everything.

This also works the other way - if the pgsql user is the only one with
read access to the data files then other users have trouble getting a
copy of them.

If you run ps aux (or activity monitor) you will see a few different
user names listed for different services.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL@Sheeky.Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz