Re: how to improve the performance of creating index - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: how to improve the performance of creating index
Date
List pgsql-performance
Yinan Li wrote:
>          I am trying to improve the performance of creating index.
>
>          I've set shared_buffers = 1024MB
>
>                    Effective_cache_size = 1024MB
>
>                    Work_mem = 1GB
>
>                    Maintenance_work_mem=512MB
>
>          (I'm sure that the server process has received the SIGHUP signal)
>
> However, when create index, I found that the memory used by Postgres is only
> 50MB. And it is very slow. How to make it faster?

What version of Postgres are you using? How much RAM does the box have?
How big is the table? How long does the index build take? What kind of
an I/O system do you have?

maintenance_work_mem is the one that controls how much memory is used
for the sort.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas