Re: Vacuum goes worse - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Stéphane Schildknecht
Subject Re: Vacuum goes worse
Date
Re: Vacuum goes worse
List pgsql-performance
Tom Lane a écrit :
> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane_Schildknecht?= <stephane.schildknecht@postgresqlfr.org> writes:
>
>> For some times, we have a vacuuming process on a specific table that
>> goes slower and slower. In fact, it took some 3 minutes a month ago, and
>> now it take almost 20 minutes. But, if one day it take so many time, it
>> is possible that on the day after it will only take 4 minutes...
>>

>> I know the table in concern had 450000 tuples two months ago and now has
>> more than 700000 tuples in it.
>>

> The real question is how often do rows get updated?  I suspect you
> probably need to vacuum this table more than once a day.

To be honest, I suspect it too. But, I have been told by people using
that database they can't do vacuum more frequently than once in a day as
it increases the time to achieve concurrent operations.
That's also why they don't want to hear about autovacuum.

And finally that's why I'm looking for everything I can monitor to
obtain information to convince them they're wrong and I'm right ;-)

That's also why I am so disappointed vacuum doesn't give me these 4
hints lines.

Regards,

--
Stéphane SCHILDKNECHT