Re: Difference between materialized view and table - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Difference between materialized view and table
Date
List pgsql-hackers
sayali k wrote:
> As of now, PGSQL does not support materialized views. Just wanted to confirm the difference between the materialized
viewand table. Is there some operation which can be performed only on a table and not on a materialized view or
vice-versa?

That's quite an academic question, given that we really don't support
materiealized views. Presumably updating materialized views would have
the same limitations as normal views; only simple views are updatable,
but you can create custom rules. Presumably physical level operations,
like CREATE INDEX, CLUSTER and VACUUM would work on materialized views
just like on tables.

Is that the kind of operations you were thinking of?