Re: Varchar vs varchar(64) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philip W. Dalrymple
Subject Re: Varchar vs varchar(64)
Date
List pgsql-general
Well, I would guess that whoever designed the DB structure was used to
non-Postgres databases. First see

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-character.html

for the tip in Para. 7 on that page.

Most Data Bases DO require much more effort (i.e. don't run as fast)
if you use unlimited size data fields but Postgres is different.

If either an old version of Postgres was the target for the original
design or the designer had not read the above item then the result is
varchar(nn) being used where for a pure Postgres system a TEXT (or varchar)
field is a better design.