Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Added the Skytools extended transaction ID module to contrib as - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Added the Skytools extended transaction ID module to contrib as
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Robert Treat wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 October 2007 02:09, Simon Riggs wrote:

>>> Don't know about the policy to put things in already-released-version
>>> but if it's not the case, we could at least put the code somewhere in
>>> the ftp.postgresql.org. IMHO pgfoundry project will confuse people.
>>>
>> Both: ftp and pgfoundry.
>>

> Putting it on pgfoundry would automatically put it in the ftp tree
> (ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/projects/pgFoundry).  If it was to go on
> pgfoundry (which I'd recommend) I'd suggest removing it from 8.3 contrib
> before we release (cause having it in both places is really going to cause
> confusion)

One of pgfoundry's explicit purposes is for backports of features. Given
that we (rightly) don't backport new features in mainline releases,
where else should they go? I don't buy the "confusing" argument. If
necessary the author can plaster big red notices in a README on the
pgfoundry release saying "don't use this past postgres version x"

cheers

andrew