Re: Apache2 PostgreSQL http authentication - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Apache2 PostgreSQL http authentication
Date
List pgsql-performance
Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> Magnus Hagander schrieb:
>> I'd consider having a small daemon LISTENing for NOTIFYs that you send
>> by triggers whenever the table has changed. That'll make sure it only
>> dumps if something actually changed. And you can also implement some
>> ratelimiting if needed.
> Do you really think such a homegrown solution will be more
> performant then just accessing postgres? If you have
> many users the lookup time in a .htaccess/.htpasswd is not for
> free either.

Right, that's what it depends on. I'd measure it. In systems with not
too many users (say just a couple of thousand), I've measured great
improvements in speed. It depends on how you authenticate as well - if
you authenticate every single http request, the difference is greater.

//Magnus