Re: Problems with + 1 million record table - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: Problems with + 1 million record table
Date
List pgsql-performance
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Cláudia Macedo Amorim wrote:
>> I'm new in PostGreSQL and I need some help.
>> I have a table with ~2 million records. Queries in this table are too slow and some are not completed.I think it
mustbe a simple question to solve but, I'm trying without success. I'm worried because next week I will need to work
withtables with ~100 million records.I'm using:O.S.: Windows XP;PostgreSQL 8.2;Index type: btree.I have 2 GB of RAM.
>> POSTGRESQL XXX.LOG:
>>
>> <2007-10-05 09:01:42%SELECT> LOG:  could not send data to client: Unknown winsock error 10061
>> <2007-10-05 09:03:03%idle> LOG:  could not receive data from client: Unknown winsock error 10061
>> <2007-10-05 09:03:03%idle> LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
>

> You are not providing a where clause which means you are scanning all 2
> million records. If you need to do that, do it in a cursor.
>

> Joshua D. Drake

I would also add that if you want to use anything other than the data
column in the where clause you should add an index to those columns as well.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL@Sheeky.Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz