Re: Ongoing issues with the downloads page - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Ongoing issues with the downloads page
Date
Re: Ongoing issues with the downloads page
List pgsql-www
Stefan,

> under "commercial software"(ie.:
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/commercial) but I guess you were
> actually taking about the small listing on the very end of the
> "Downloads" main page (http://www.postgresql.org/download/) - right ?

Correct, since that's where other OS platforms are listed.  If RH & EDB
are there, Solaris ought to be there.

>> 2) Someone added "TrafficReports" under a new category "Reporting". This
>> is unreasonable favoritism towards a single reporting project. Either we
>> need to list at least 6 of the OSS & commercial reporting tools which
>> support PostgreSQL, or delete the category alltogther (I support the
>> latter).
>
> not so sure about that category either but are there more reporting
> tools out there that are worth mentioning ?

Only a few dozen.  JasperReports, OpenRPT, Pentaho, BusinessObjects,
Microstrategy, BIRT, etc, etc.

Overall, I think adding stuff to this page (and frankly, elsewhere on
the web site) needs to be discussed on list (or at least announced) and
not just arbitrarily added.  When we put one product in a category on
the page and not others it gives the appearance of favoritism.  Also, by
adding something like a reporting category with only one entry in it, we
give the impression that it's the *only* reporting tool which works with
PostgreSQL.

For reporting tools specifically, it should be removed from the
downloads page and added to the Tools page, or get its own Reporting
page.  There are too many reporting tools which work with PostgreSQL to
have it on the main downloads page.

I also question moving the /commercial stuff to a permanent page rather
than techdocs.  This list of compatible tools is *far* to volatile to
depend on CVS access to update it.  Please move it back to Techdocs.

--Josh