Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/20/2016 09:12 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:

> That said, I'd also like to see a --force or similar option or mechanism
> put in place to reduce the risk of users trashing their system because
> they think pg_resetwal is "safe." ("It's just gonna reset things to make
> the database start again, should be fine.").
>
> pg_destroydb almost seems like a better choice, though I suppose
> 'pg_clearwal' would be more acceptable.  Doesn't have quite the same
> impact though.

pg_dropwal

Users won't *drop* things they shouldn't on purpose (usually) but they
will reset and will clear them. Destroydb isn't anymore accurate because
it doesn't destroy it. Instead it makes it so I can log in again and see
my data.

(Yes we all know the real implications with it but from a DUH user
perspective...)

Sincerely,

JD

--