Re: Using Postgres as an alias - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Using Postgres as an alias
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> although I can't recall ever seeing anyone refer to
> it as Postgre, except in this list ... to be totally honest, if I ever *heard*
> anyone refer to it as Postgre...

If you're in sales and bring up a powerpoint that says "PostgreSQL" to
customers you hear 'Postgre SQL' a lot.   If you're in IT and show less
technical executive management a proposal that  says "PostgreSQL" you
hear 'Postgre' a lot.  If you're an entrepreneur showing potential
investors a business plan that says "PostgreSQL" you hear 'why Postgre'
a lot. In none of those situations is it a good use of time to go off
on pronunciation tangents.

To get a feeling for this, show the term to any people you know who aren't
familiar with the project and ask how they would say it.  Another way to get
a feeling for it is to look at a word we're less numb to.   Is "AppleSQL"
pronounced "Apples Q. L" or is "MarCGF" pronounced "Marc G. F."?