Re: Using Postgres as an alias - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Using Postgres as an alias
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> To follow up on this a bit. I liken this whole discussion to a beverage
> I happen to enjoy. The good portion of the world knows it as Coke.
> However, The "name" is Coca-Cola. All of their branding is Coca-Cola,
> all of their logos etc...

Hardly "all" of their branding.

Their "Coke Adds Life" campaigns were among the most memorable ads ever
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ccmphtml/colahist.html#joe
Their 2006 slogan is "The Coke Side of Life"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_slogans

> What I see is this:
>
> PostgreSQL will *always* be PostgreSQL
> PostgreSQL will commonly be referred to as Postgres over time, starting
> with the FAQ and general conversation.
> In the long run the two will merge where the pedantic is PostgreSQL and
> the common use is Postgres.

I imagine it'll go more like HP - where a couple places on the hp.com
web site say Hewlett-Packard, but those are few and far between.