Re: Change the name - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Change the name
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Bruce,

>> Wrong.  Completely and totally wrong.
>
> Are you trying to throw up roadblocks?

Now he is trying to make you realize what level of job this really is. A
great many people on this list have already proven excessively ignorant
to the scope of work the name change proposal is.

> That is my analysis.  I was just
> suggesting we ask the general list.  Now maybe if you said I was "100%

Bruce... consider the length of this thread on advocacy. Now you want to
take it to general? Don't we currently have better things to do? Like,
say getting 8.3 out the door?

> You stated:
>
>> There's particularly no point in doing a survey of people's uninformed
>> opinions about the issue; community members need to see a cost-benefit
>> analysis *first,* not after a vote.
>
> Seems we have cost/benefit list already.  Based on your list below I
> think asking 'general' should be done before "Poll non-users to find out

Are you also going to communicate with the hundreds of thousands of
users that having nothing to do with the PostgreSQL lists? If so.. how?

> I realize some people are trying to minimize the work involved, but some
> are trying to maximize it too.

No, they are trying to make sure it is done right, without barreling
ahead and ignoring the requirements of others. A *lot* of people have
put a huge vested interest in PostgreSQL and you in your arrogance are
completely ignoring that.

Our largest community has said "no". Our budding communities in Italy
and France have said, "no. The only people that seem to really be
wanting the name change are those whom it won't effect, like you Bruce.

It won't effect you. You don't have to do anything but possibly change a
couple of words in FAQ. Let's be realistic and look at the things and
people this is going to effect, in a severe way.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
- --

            UNIQUE NOT NULL