Re: Change the name - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Change the name
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Bruce,

>>> I believe the next step we discussed was to get feedback from the
>>> 'general' email list.  Correct?

Wrong.  Competely and totally wrong.

Look at the amount of stuff on that page which is listed as "more
information needed":

===========
Need an inventory of graphics containing "PostgreSQL"
Poll non-users to find out if name has any effect on adoption
Poll corporate supporters
Check with press contacts / analysis on likely press reaction
Poll downstream projects on reaction to name change
Poll regional/language groups & packagers
Check for legal issues
Detailed listing of all materials which need changing.
===========

While some of this could wait until after we decide to change, some of
it absolutely cannot.  We could easily discover that most of our
corporate supporters oppose the change, the distros will hate us, press
reaction would be bad, and that there are numerous legal issues ... in
which case the name-changing idea is dead no matter what the folks on
-general think.

Please stop thinking of the name change as something to be done over an
idle weekend, and start thinking of it as a major feature like WAL,
Schema or HOT.  It's going to require just as much work, if not more.

I'll also point out that not one of the people who said they'd "do
whatever it takes" has yet stepped forward to research any of these topics.

--Josh Berkus