Re: Way to reveal record locks? - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Andrei Kovalevski
Subject Re: Way to reveal record locks?
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Hi!

Fred Parkinson wrote:
> I am using MS Access as a front end to a postgres database running on a Solaris Unix box, using odbc as the
communicationmedium.

> One of the main tools of my Access app is a process that runs at night to process student progress in an online
trainingsystem.

> A couple of nights ago the app started generating the error:
> "Runtime error 3046: Could not save; currently locked by another user"
> and it is on the app screen when I come in in the morning, locking up the program and keeping it from completing.  I
trapas many errors as I can think of, but this is escaping trap so I don't know where in the code it is happening.

This error was not generated by PostgreSQL or ODBC driver. It belongs to
the Visual Basic runtime processor: http://www.halfile.com/vb.html.
> I am sure that the error is not from an Access user A. because the process runs between 11pm and 1am and 2. because
thereare no .ldb files open, a file type created when a user opens an access application.

How many Access users you have, may be someone accesses your data via
remote desctop or something like that?
> So, is there any way to determine what records are locked, if in fact that is the problem?  (As you know, the error
reportedmay not actually be the underlying problem).

> Most of the program is designed with classes instantiated as objects, and in Access when I take the 'debug' option of
theerror message box, all that happens is the program goes to the first process of the first object, so that is
useless.

> If no one has an answer I will probably write a routine that steps through every record of every table and attempts
tolock it to see if I can reproduce the error that way.

Do you have Access tables inside your application or only linked
PostgreSQL tables? May be it's not abou t PostgeSQL tables at all... Try
to enable logging for ODBC driver or for the whole ODBC subsystem. It's
possible to do via Administration -> Data Sources (ODBC) -> configure
DSN         or           Tracing