Re: utilising multi-cpu/core machines? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Sven Geisler
Subject Re: utilising multi-cpu/core machines?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi Thomas,

PostgreSQL does scale up very well. But you have to keep in mind that
this also depends on profile of the application you're on PostgreSQL.

Insufficient memory and slow disk systems can interfere PostgreSQL.
Another issue is contention if the server has more than 4 cpus.
(Please check out discussions about "context strom" in this group.)

Anyhow, I had create a benchmark for my company which shows the scale up
of PostgreSQL 8.1.4. This benchmark does try to enforce contention
because of the profile of our application.

Clients/scale-up factor
1    1
2    1,78
3    2,47
4    3,12
5    3,62
6    4,23
7    4,35
8    4,79
9    5,05
10    5,17

Scale-up factor is relative to one client the number of completed
queries in a time frame. (throughput)

This test was done on a 16 core Intel-box (4-way Xeon E7340).

The results of TPC-B benchmark are looking similar.

Sven.

--
Sven Geisler <sgeisler@aeccom.com>   Tel +49.30.921017.81  Fax .50
Senior Developer, AEC/communications GmbH & Co. KG Berlin, Germany