Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)  (Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com>)
Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)  (Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org>)
Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On 9/2/2007 11:33 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]
factthat you're a 6' 3" European bloke, and not a woman call Janet?

Nah, that is just laziness on my side. And I'm only a 6'1'' european
bloke. Maybe I should change the spelling to Yann when I apply for
citizenship?

> I think we should change to Postgres or do nothing. Postgre is absolutely horrendous imho.

The point is that we already DID change the name to Postgre. We just
didn't realize it back then and some don't want to realize it even now.

Look at the IRC channels, the mailing lists and all sorts of blogs and
articles published. If you're confident about your stomach, google for
"Postgre SQL" (with the double quotes). There are tons and tons of
references to "Postgre-SQL" and "Postgre SQL". You even see Marc using
"Postgre SQL" on the first result page (okay, it was a forwarded email
and he might not have noticed - but precious as an example anyway).

People back then might not, but today most of them do recognize SQL as
the abbreviation for Structured Query Language. Or at least it is
something they do recognize and interpret separate from the rest of the
word. They remove the acronym and logically come to Postgre as the base
name of our project. We will never be able to stop that unless we remove
the root cause of it, the letters SQL attached to the name Postgre.

We don't have the choice of doing nothing, because not changing back to
Postgres means you have to accept Postgre. And that's not exactly
"nothing" to me. It turns my guts upside down, but it is what seems
logically our name, so it has every right to be officially accepted.

Jan