Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 9/2/2007 8:19 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> same goes for ignoring problems the move might cause - like we had
> several of the large communities (french,italian and japanese) already
> objecting for a switch like that hurting them.

Can it be that both camps exaggerate a little about their own "pain" and
try to play down the others? I am well known for doing that, but who
else is willing to admit it?

> And one other aspect is very much a problem too - we have WAY less
> control over a number of key postgres.* domains (postgres.jp is not
> registered, postgres.eu is registered to some weird place as is say
> postgres.at or postgres.us).

That is almost the only aspect of changing the name, that won't solve
itself by time going by alone. Maybe some of our wealthier community
members will be able to help those in need. Nobody asked to get rid of
all references to PostgreSQL shortly. It is a process that will take a
few years for sure.

On the other side, the "Postgre" thing won't ever go away no matter what
we do or say as long as we keep PostgreSQL. So is everyone, who is
against the change, willing to add something like this to the FAQ:

   "A natural result of our project name is that it is frequently
   referred to as Postgre. The name Postgre has therefore officially
   been adopted as another accepted abbreviation of the formal project
   name Postgre SQL. In an effort to reduce the number of names referring
   to our project, we discourage from using Postgres and all other names
   in favor of Postgre and Postgre SQL."

Well, maybe without the last sentence, but anyway, are people fine with
our database being called Postgre all over the place? Because that is
what is happening and it will never stop if we keep PostgreSQL, so we
might as well stop trying to make people using that abbreviation look
like bloody noobs who don't even know the name of the database they are
trying to use.

And we should post this for a while in frequent intervals on all our
mailing lists in order to stop folks from telling others "there is no
such thing as Postgre".

So my question really is, is everyone out there who does not want to
change to Postgres now willing to officially accept Postgre as well?

Jan