Re: 8.2 Autovacuum BUG ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Pallav Kalva
Subject Re: 8.2 Autovacuum BUG ?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Mark Lewis wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 12:25 -0400, Pallav Kalva wrote:
>
>> Can you please correct me if I am wrong, I want to understand how this
>> works.
>> Based on what you said, it will run autovacuum again when it passes 200M
>> transactions, as SELECTS are transactions too and are going on these
>> tables.
>> But the next time when it runs autovacuum, it shouldnt freeze the tuples
>> again as they are already frozen and wont generate lot of archive logs ?
>> Or is this because of it ran autovacuum for the first time on this db ?
>> just the first time it does this process ?
>>

> That is correct.  The tuples are now frozen, which means that they will
> not need to be frozen ever again unless you insert/update any records.

My main concern is filling up my disk with archive logs, so from all the
replies I get is that since tuples are already frozen, next time when it
runs autovacuum it wont generate any archive logs.

Is my assumption right ?

Thanks! everybody on all your replies. It's was very helpful.