Re: PostgreSQL.Org (was: PostgreSQL Conference Fal l 2007) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: PostgreSQL.Org (was: PostgreSQL Conference Fal l 2007)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Dave, I am not going to get into this with you. The ball is in motion.
The other conferences are already being planned and have been announced.

I will concur that it would have been more beneficial "if" we would have
posted about the fall conference before we announced but our time limit
was short and everyone is pushing really hard to make this a success for
the community.

>> I appreciate that some maybe feel left out, but the notice was short and
>> we wanted to get moving. It is not moving and it is a wondeful thing.
>> Let's be happy that PostgreSQL is having another conference.
>
> I am. What I object to is declaring this as a postgresql.org conference when it hasn't been generally agreed in an
appropriatecommunity forum (which would be -advocacy imho). Doing so effectively allows *anyone* to organise an event
andcall it 'official' - which I believe is definitely not something we want for a whole heap of reasons.

Nor was it generally agreed that we would have PgCon or PGDay.IT or
whatever the Japanese or French community does.

Like most things in this community, what happens is, "The people willing
to do the work..."

In an effort to make sure there is no confusion in the future, I have
already posted about the upcoming conferences that I am planning with
the community over the next 12 months. Please feel free to participate
in those threads as your feedback would be valuable.

Not to mention, I would love to see a UK conference.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Regards, Dave

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster