Re: MSVC build system - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Boreham
Subject Re: MSVC build system
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> David Boreham wrote:
>
>> To add my 2d worth to this: after working on a few very large
>> projects that built on both Unix and Windows my preference is
>> to use a single autotools-based build for both, with a script called cccl
>> that translates cc-style arguments for Microsoft's cl compiler/linker
>> tool chain (plus Cygwin for the command line utilities, gmake etc).
>> We have a locally-enhanced version of cccl that's a bit
>> more capable than the latest public version, I seem to remember.
>>

> But that still requires you to have a full set of "unix style
> commandline tools" on your windows box in order to build, no? And if it
> doesn't generate project files and such, it won't be usable in Visual
> Studio, just the commandline compiler...

Correct on both counts, and for me neither is a problem. I can't imagine
using
a Windows box for software development without Unix tools installed, and
I've never found building huge pieces of software using an IDE to be a
useful
thing to do. As I said, just my 2d worth...