Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix brain fade in DefineIndex(): it was continuing to access the - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix brain fade in DefineIndex(): it was continuing to access the
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>> This particular issue could be implemented just by adding
>>> -DCLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS to CFLAGS (or CPPFLAGS if you want to be anal
>>> about it).  I suppose that no new buildfarm mechanism is required ---
>>> someone just needs to set up an animal configured that way, and
>>> scheduled to run only maybe once a week or something like that.
>>>

>> Ah. Ok. That makes sense. How long does such a regression run usually take?
>>

> On my x86_64 machine (dual 2.8GHz Xeon EM64T) it's on the order of two
> or three hours --- I haven't timed it carefully, but somewhere along
> there.  That's just for the core regression tests, I've never tried
> contrib or PL tests.
>
> It should be a separate animal, and not something that an existing one
> does every-so-often, or we might mistake anything it finds for an
> irreproducible transient failure.  Consistent failures on the same
> animal will stand out of the noise, though.

I tried this on a little P3 I have lying around:

[andrew@marmaduke bf]$ ./run_build.pl --test --conf=figeater.conf
Mon Aug 27 17:03:55 2007: buildfarm run for figeater:HEAD starting
[17:03:55] checking out source ...
[17:04:17] checking if build run needed ...
[17:04:18] creating vpath build dir pgsql.11834 ...
[17:04:18] running configure ...
[17:06:06] running make ...
[17:31:14] running make check ...
[00:43:28] running make contrib ...
Branch: HEAD
Stage Contrib failed with status 2

Good thing it failed - goodness only knows how long the extra runs would
have taken :-)

Does someone have a box with lots of grunt that can spare some cycles
for a few hours once a week or so?

cheers

andrew