Re: Geographic High-Availability/Replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Markus Schiltknecht
Subject Re: Geographic High-Availability/Replication
Date
Re: Geographic High-Availability/Replication  (Decibel! <decibel@decibel.org>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Gregory Stark wrote:
> Only if your application is single-threaded. By single-threaded I don't refer
> to operating system threads but to the architecture. If you're processing a
> large batch file handling records one by one and waiting for each commit
> before proceeding then it's single threaded. If you have a hundred independent
> clients on separate connections doing separate things then each one of them
> could get 6tps. Which you have will depend on your application and your needs,
> it may not be something you can change.

Correct.

Plus, as in the implementation of Postgres-R, performance is *not* bound
to the slowest node. Instead, every node can process transactions at
it's own speed. Slower nodes might then have to queue transactions from
those until they catch up again.

Regards

Markus