Re: SQL feature requests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian G. Pflug
Subject Re: SQL feature requests
Date
Re: SQL feature requests  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: SQL feature requests  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> The only argument I've
>> heard that carries much weight with me is that it eases porting from
>> other DBMS's that allow this.  Are there any others besides Oracle?
>
>> select * from (select f1 from t)
>
> In Sybase:
>
> com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException: The derived table expression is missing a correlation name. Check derived
tablesyntax in the Reference Manual.

> Error code: 11753
> SQL state: ZZZZZ

The really funny thing is that pgsql, mysql and at least sybase
*explicitly* dissallow the no-alias case. Which shows that  .) This seems to be common source of confusion and errors.
.)Aliasless-Subqueries wouldn't lead to ambigous grammras in those databases.     Otherwise, you'd expect to get some
moregeneric syntax error, and not     the very explicit "No alias, but expected one".

I agree with Tom - knowing *why* the standard committee disallows that syntax -
and why everybody except oracle chose to agree with it would be quite interesting.

greetings, Florian Pflug