Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add configure option --with-system-tzdata to use operating system - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add configure option --with-system-tzdata to use operating system
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Note, for example, that libc refers to /usr/share/zoneinfo by
>> absolute path.
>
> After reflecting more about this, that's an awfully strong point.
>
> Maybe we should go back to the original patch from Sun --- that is,
> just have the configure option change pg_TZDIR() to return a hardwired
> absolute path.  The symlink idea has clearly got more risks than we
> understood during the prior discussion.  I think the main argument
> in favor was that it allowed switching between PG-local and system
> TZ databases without recompiling the server, but is anyone really
> interested in doing that?

If you're talking about a dev scenario you can already do this - just
don't use the configure parameter and manually symlink.
I can't really see why someone using the RPM (or whatever) version would
want to do it.

//Magnus