Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add configure option --with-system-tzdata to use operating system - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add configure option --with-system-tzdata to use operating system
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Note, for example, that libc refers to /usr/share/zoneinfo by
> absolute path.

After reflecting more about this, that's an awfully strong point.

Maybe we should go back to the original patch from Sun --- that is,
just have the configure option change pg_TZDIR() to return a hardwired
absolute path.  The symlink idea has clearly got more risks than we
understood during the prior discussion.  I think the main argument
in favor was that it allowed switching between PG-local and system
TZ databases without recompiling the server, but is anyone really
interested in doing that?