Re: PAM authentication fails for local UNIX users - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: PAM authentication fails for local UNIX users
Date
Re: PAM authentication fails for local UNIX users  (Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM>)
List pgsql-hackers

Zdenek Kotala wrote:

> The problem what Dhanaraj tries to address is how to secure solve
> problem with PAM and local user. Other servers (e.g. sshd) allow to
> run master under root (with limited privileges) and forked process
> under normal user. But postgresql
> requires start as non-root user. It limits to used common pattern.
>
> There is important question:
>
> Is current requirement to run postgresql under non-root OK? If yes,
> than we must update PAM documentation to explain this situation which
> will never works secure. Or if we say No, it is stupid limitation (in
> case when UID 0 says nothing about user's privileges) then we must
> start discussion about solution.

For now I think we should update the docs. You really can't compare
postgres with sshd - ssh connections are in effect autonomous. I suspect
the changes involved in allowing us to  run as root and then give up
privileges safely would be huge, and the gain quite small.

I'd rather see an HBA fallback mechanism, which I suspect might overcome
most of the  problems being encountered here.

cheers

andrew