Re: Postgresql performance in production environment - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: Postgresql performance in production environment
Date
List pgsql-general
Phoenix Kiula wrote:
> On 19/08/07, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:

[... ]

> Well based on some past posts, I looked into my pg_log stuff and found
> a number of these lines:
>

> [----------------
> LOG:  could not fork new process for connection: Resource temporarily
> unavailable
> LOG:  could not fork new process for connection: Resource temporarily
> unavailable
> LOG:  could not fork new process for connection: Resource temporarily
> unavailable
> LOG:  could not fork new process for connection: Resource temporarily
> unavailable
> LOG:  could not fork new process for connection: Resource temporarily
> unavailable
> LOG:  could not fork new process for connection: Resource temporarily
> unavailable
> ----------------]
>

> Which suggests that our guess of running out of connections is the right one.
>
> So, we have three options (to begin with) --
>
> 1. Increase the number of max_connections. This seems to be a voodoo
> art and a complex calculation of database size (which in our case is
> difficult to predict; it grows very fast), hardware, and such. I
> cannot risk other apps running on this same machine.sql

this error is a sign that the OS(!) is running out of resources(or at
least won't allow pg to fork another process) - either you hit an ulimit
for the user postgresql runs under or you need to flip some kernel
setting to increase the number of processes. increasing max_connections
wil NOT help because you are not even hitting the current one yet ...

> 2. Use connection pooling. I've found pgpool2 and pgbouncer from the
> Skype group. Does anyone have experience using either? The latter
> looks good, although we're usually skeptical about connection pooling
> in general (or is that just the mysqli_pconnect() hangover?)

pgbouncer works quite fine here.

Stefan