Re: duplicated values on primary key field on reindex - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Weerts, Jan
Subject Re: duplicated values on primary key field on reindex
Date
Re: duplicated values on primary key field on reindex  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 16:36, Weerts, Jan wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> This was 8.1.3 and now is 8.1.4 running on Debian Sarge, locally
>> compiled without any fancy options.
>

>> While the first answer seems much more valid (the primarkey is
>> an artificially created number), the second answer seems to
>> be the one being presented for all further invocations of the
>> above query.
>>
>> I noted, that the second row does not fit the "order by" clause,
>> so I tried a reindex of the db, but that led to a duplicate value
>> error: # reindex index tw_blob_pkey;
>> ERROR:  could not create unique index
>> DETAIL:  Table contains duplicated values.
>>
>> Now that is something I don't understand at all.
>>
>> Since the backup for said server went postal too long ago
>> unnoticed, I would prefer a "repair" solution. Any ideas?
>
> Can you get set of fields in that row to uniquely identify it by?
>
> If so, see if you can update that column to something else and
> continue

The only way would be to update by primarykey. But since the
select on the primarykey field shows this "strange" ordering,
I wonder, what effect an update would have. My guess would be,
that the correct pk value should be 1636695, but seeing only
216305 on subsequent calls makes me think.

I even have executed
# select * from tw_blob where primarykey = 216305;
and receive a single row, which I don't really trust to be
the same one producing the error.

  Jan