Re: Writing most code in Stored Procedures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guy Rouillier
Subject Re: Writing most code in Stored Procedures
Date
List pgsql-general
Ron Johnson wrote:

> So why is Perl-SP-INSERT so much slower than Perl-SQL-INSERT?
>
> (I can imagine that the SP code path would be longer, but since IO
> is the slowest part of the system, I'm surprised that it's *that*
> much slower.)

I'm guessing that since PG allows overloaded SP names, the slowness is
coming from resolving which SP to run.  But that is just a guess.  In my
environment, I don't *have* overloaded SPs, only a single version of a
given name.  But when I was doing the conversion from Oracle, it took me
  a couple tries to get the SP signatures correct, so I'm pretty sure PG
is still going through the resolution logic, even if you only have a
single instance of a given name.

--
Guy Rouillier