Re: language interface in postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: language interface in postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
David Fetter wrote:
>> Dollar-quoting is a cute technical solution to that, but you can't
>> deny that it's simpler if you just restrict the function language to
>> be SQL-ish so that CREATE FUNCTION can parse it without any
>> interesting quoting rules.  So sayeth Oracle and the SQL standards
>> committee, anyway.
>
> I think the aforementioned entities got it wrong where we got it right :)

Though Oracle says[1] 'Java-based stored procedures are a standard (ANSI SQL-1999
SQLJ-Part-1 a.k.a. "SQL routines using Java") database-independent alternative
to proprietary procedural extensions to SQL'; so I guess they did both think
of some flexibility in that regard, no?

[1] http://www.oracle.com/technology/sample_code/tech/java/jsp/samples/jwcache/Abstract.html