Re: Using system time zone database - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: Using system time zone database
Date
List pgsql-patches
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Because there seems to be an increasing trend among packagers to drop the
> PostgreSQL-supplied time zone data and use the operating system's instead,

Because it seems government in many countries make a decision to make
live harder. :(

> I figured it would be good to define an official and documented way to do this.
> If we could get, say, the Linux, BSD, and Solaris packagers to adopt this,

Yes, e.g. Solaris use this solution for 8.2 packages. I sent little bit
different patch few months ago. You can see discussion there:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-03/msg00293.php

Your solution correlate with conclusion of this thread.

> this would eliminate the bulk of essentially redundant efforts to upgrade the
> PostgreSQL packages whenever the time zone data changes.

Yes, I agree.

> Here is a proposed patch that you would use like this:

I'm not sure if configure is necessary to modify (is not generate from
configure.in during commit process)? Also could be good to modify also
pg_config to show where TZ files are stored.

        Zdenek