Re: tsearch2 in PostgreSQL 8.3? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paesold
Subject Re: tsearch2 in PostgreSQL 8.3?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Uh, how are we going to prevent the auto-casting to tsvector from using
> the default GUC config, e.g. CREATE INDEX i ON x USING GIN(col)?
>
> This is where I started to see the need for education and error-prone
> nature of the default GUC just wasn't worth having it, though I know
> others disagree.

It can be removed quite easily. AFAIR, this "feature" was added on
suggestion of Tom Lane. It was certainly only added in this
tsearch-to-core release cycle, see here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-03/msg01384.php

Teodor Sigaev wrote:> 2) added operator class for text and varchar>    CREATE INDEX idxname ON tblname USING GIN (
textcolumn);

So just remove the operator class or don't specify it as default
operator class for GIN, and the thing is gone. Perhaps there is a better
way to do this, though.

[...digging...] The idea was born in the thread starting here (involving
Tom Lane, Joshua Drake, and Teodor Sigaev):
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-03/msg00912.php
with the conclusion here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-03/msg00936.php

Best Regards