Re: Transactional DDL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Williamson
Subject Re: Transactional DDL
Date
List pgsql-general
Harpreet Dhaliwal wrote:
> And this feature i.e. transactional DDL is not there in other major
> RDBMS like sql server, oracle etc?
>
> thanks
> ~Harpreet

<...snipped earlier postings...>

It surprised me when I saw Oracle's behavior. Informix supports DDL
within transactions quite happily:

create table foo22 (id int,myvalue varchar);
create table foo23 (id int);
begin;
alter table foo22 drop (myvalue);
alter table foo23 add (mynewvalue varchar);
rollback;

INFO - foo22:   Columns  Indexes  Privileges  References  Status  ...
Display column names and data types for a table.
----------------------- billing@arches_ip ------ Press CTRL-W for Help
--------
Column name          Type                                    Nulls
id                   integer                                 yes
myvalue              varchar(1,1)                            yes

AND
INFO - foo23:   Columns  Indexes  Privileges  References  Status  ...
Display column names and data types for a table.
----------------------- billing@arches_ip ------ Press CTRL-W for Help
--------
Column name          Type                                    Nulls
id                   integer                                 yes

QED.

It's a strong point in PostgreSQL's favor that it behaves in what I
regard as a sane manner. That Oracle stuff makes me shudder -- it's unclean.

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC, a DigitalGlobe company

confidential and privileged information and must be protected in
accordance with those provisions. Any unauthorized review, use,
copies of the original message.

(My corporate masters made me say this.)