Re: language interface in postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: language interface in postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
Trevor Talbot wrote:
> On 8/14/07, Jasbinder Singh Bali <jsbali@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Let me fine tune my question here. What I mean to say is the way we can
>> write stored procedures in C, perl etc in Postgres specifying the language
>> parameter at the end of stored procedure, compared to that, in SQL Server
>> 2000 I've seen SP writing in pure SQL only.
>> Can you write Stored Procedures in SQL Server 2000 or Oracle in different
>> programing languages as well ?
>
> AFAIK SQL Server 2000 only has a C interface as the other option; CLR
> hosting was added in SQL Server 2005.  Because the CLR is a virtual
> machine that runs compiled bytecode, and compilers for all of the
> available languages are not necessarily available at runtime, it
> doesn't make sense to specify such code in source form.  The process
> is more like creating a function in C in PostgreSQL (compile and load
> a shared library).  Details here, if you're curious:
>
> I don't know what Oracle supports.

I believe Oracle support Java in the same way MSSQL supports .net, give
or take.

And IIRC the method is you build a DLL on your client and upload it to
the server so no, source not specified int he CREATE PROCEDURE call.

//Magnus