Re: Experimental patch for inter-page delay in VACUUM - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD
Subject Re: Experimental patch for inter-page delay in VACUUM
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > One problem with O_SYNC would be, that the OS does not group writes any
> > more. So the code would need to eighter do it's own sorting and grouping
> > (256k) or use aio, or you won't be able to get the maximum out of the disks.
>
> Or just run multiple writer processes, which I believe is Oracle's
> solution.

That does not help, since for O_SYNC the OS'es (those I know) do not group those
writes together. Oracle allows more than one writer to busy more than one disk(subsystem) and circumvent other per
processlimitations (mainly on platforms without AIO).

Andreas