Re: [GENERAL] Problem about pgsql's column alias - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Problem about pgsql's column alias
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> > > Actually, that was the first complaint that I can recall hearing in
> > > quite some time.
> >
> > Imho it is well documented, and the answer has always been that it is not easily doable,
> > so people don't complain, but I guess they are none the less annoyed.
> >
> > I would vote for doing the change.
> >

> Tom raised the issue of
>
> > SELECT 'foo'::character varying
> > Is "varying" an alias or part of the type name?
>
> which I've not seen addressed except for the suggestion to deprecate the
> use of :: for casting, which I would sure have reservations about.

Yes, I would also not like to depricate the :: syntax, but "varying" is an
SQL reserved word, as are all other words of multi word types, thus I see no
unsolveable problem here (disregard reserved words as alias unless AS is given).

Andreas