Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD
Subject Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> The question is *which* seek APIs we need to support.  Are there any
> besides fseeko() and fgetpos()?

On AIX we have
int fseeko64 (FILE* Stream, off64_t Offset, int Whence);
which is intended for large file access for programs that do NOT
#define _LARGE_FILES

It is functionality that is available if _LARGE_FILE_API is defined,
which is the default if _LARGE_FILES is not defined.

That would have been my preferred way of handling large files on AIX
in the two/three? places that need it (pg_dump/restore, psql and backend COPY).
This would have had the advantage that off_t is not 64 bit in all other places
where it is actually not needed, no ?

Andreas