Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src backend/tcop/postgres.cbacke - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src backend/tcop/postgres.cbacke
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > OK, seeing as no one voted, and only Tom and I objected originally, we
> > will keep the code as Thomas has applied it, namely that PGXLOG/-X is
> > recognized by initdb, postmaster, postgres, and pg_ctl.
>
> We will?  It looks to me like Thomas lost the vote 2-to-1.
>
> Unless there are more votes, I'm going to *insist* that this code be
> changed.  It's dangerous and offers no offsetting benefit.  XLOG
> location should be settable at initdb, noplace later.

2 would get my vote too.
My approach though would be that initdb simply creates
a symlink. I like to find the files without resorting to additional utilities
or an sql, at least on platforms that support symlinks. This makes the task of
knowing what needs to be backed up easier.

My approach to tablespaces would probably also have symlinks in the datadir.

Andreas