Re: [SQL] PostgreSQL on AIX - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD
Subject Re: [SQL] PostgreSQL on AIX
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Anyway, I am pretty sure that PostgreSQL is not the culprit here.  As it
> happens this project is back on the table for me so it is interesting that
> your email popped up now.  I just compiled the latest version of PostgreSQL
> on my AIX system and it generated lots of errors and then completed and
> installed fine.  Makes me sort of nervous.  We'll see how it goes.  Anyone
> have any horror/success stories about PostgreSQL on AIX for me?

The "errors" are mostly duplicate symbol warnings, that are part of generating
a shared lib on AIX (in a mostly gcc and xlc independent way), and can be safely
ignored.

The imho most needed effort for AIX would be to switch the TAS stuff from
cs() to fetch_and_or() or a PowerPC assembler or the test_and_set() that is
undocumented/intended for kernel, see discussions from last year.

The fetch_and_or() is a lot faster on multi processor systems but a little
slower on single processor. But cs() is documented as depricated, so ...

I might get round to doing this.

Andreas